Friday, January 4, 2008

what's a title with no content????

Ok, I told you I was still learning here......

Occasionally I have the priviledge to escort my dad down to the VA hospital in the heart of 'Hotlanta'. Yesterday was one of those days....he just needs to get checked out sometimes. Everything turned out just fine...matter of fact, each treatment/procedure he has had down there has come out A-OK!!! Am glad to see my taxes working! We are usually destined to hang out there at least 4 hrs. each visit. Yesterday was no different. The artwork/decor (and I'm using the term 'decor' VERY loosly here!) in the particular clinic that we visit seems to focus on the Vietnam era. Many framed prints and lithographs hang on the walls, offering interesting interpretations of what was going on during that decade of unrest. Each time I wander thru the halls, waiting for his name to be called (so we could run to the nurse like hungry puppy dogs waiting patiently for a glimpse of a dish of chow!), my heart can't help but be moved and touched as an interesting combination of emotions ranging from pride, humility, and wonder, with a side of guilt thrown in. erupts. Even, at moments, to the point of tears as I observe this vast field of gray headed gentlemen, many in wheelchairs being assisted by dutiful wives and daughters, who are simply trying to make it. I wonder about what their experiences were, how did they do it? how did they handle what was asked of them? How did they make it this far with the sites, smells and images we all know they had to have known. Well, however, they did it I am grateful afresh at each interaction with them,that they went, and mostly, that they returned. Thank you, Vets. You are truly our heros.

No comments: